What We Do
About People For Puget Sound
We're a citizens' group established in 1991 to protect and restore the health of our land and waters through education and action. Our members, partners and volunteers are located throughout the Puget Sound basin.
A place of stunning beauty and natural wonders. Home to whales, eagles, herons, seals, salmon and millions of people. Puget Sound's health is our health-- the key to our region's quality of life, our economy and the legacy we leave our children and their children.
But the Sound is in trouble. Orca whales and salmon are endangered and may face extinction due to pollution, loss of habitat, and the ever-present threat of oil spills. Fishing, shellfishing, recreation and human health are increasingly at risk as toxins flow into our living waters. Together, we can protect and restore the Sound to health for future generations. Working together to make this happen is what People For Puget Sound is all about.
Our vision is a clean and healthy Sound teeming with fish and wildlife. We will accomplish this by:
- Eliminating contamination of the Sound and Straits
- Halting the destruction of natural habitats and restoring those habitats to health
- Sustaining the Sound and Straits as a healthy source of people's livelihood, enjoyment and renewal
Our vision is a clean and healthy Sound cared for by people who live here. We will save our Sound by:
- Educating adults and youth in the science and values of a healthy Sound
- Involving our communities and partners in our shared responsibilities
- Holding ourselves and public officials accountable for carrying out commitments and enforcing laws and regulations
Our Core Values
- We focus on the long-term health of the Puget Sound ecosystem
- We are a community involvement organization
- We do high quality work and value our excellent reputation
- We work in partnership with others
- Our integrity--to our mission and in our dealings--is beyond reproach
- We are educators
- We are advocates
- We have fun