Environmental Lobby Day 2012
|SAVE THE DATE||Learn more about:|
"It's worth it to take the time to dig deeper", Juliet Romano (Seattle Garden Club), about her experience attending the Environmental Lobby Day 2011.
This short clip is part of the documentary , a feature length film about cleaning up and protecting Puget Sound. Sign up for our monthly email newsletter to get updates when Sound & Vision is going to screen in your community.
Get ready to join 400 of your friends to celebrate twenty years of citizen advocacy for Puget Sound with Environmental Lobby Day 2012.
A lot has been accomplished to protect Puget Sound and Washington’s environment since our first citizen Lobby Day in 1992. By working together over the past 20 years we have been instrumental in (just to mention a few):
- Founding the Puget Sound Partnership;
- Strengthening Washington State’s oil spill prevention and response program (no Exxon Valdez spill in Puget Sound thank you very much);
- Securing a permanent, year round rescue tug at Neah Bay, WA for distressed vessels funded by industry;
- Phasing out copper in brake pad and the use of copper in boat bottom paint;
- Making baby bottles safe for our youngsters;
- Phasing out toxic flame retardants in our products.
- Passing the first-in-the nation bill on e-waste recycling and first in-the-nation phase out of toxic flame retardants in our products; Transitioning Washington’s only coal-fired power plant off of coal, while investing in community;
This year, join 25 of the state’s leading conservation groups and hundreds of citizen advocates to push for the passage of the Environmental Priorities Coalition’s 2012 legislative package. We need you to be in Olympia to use your power of persuasion as you meet face-to-face with all three of your state legislators.
- Preventing attempts to weaken, delay or roll back state environmental laws and programs that are critical for clean air, clean water, and healthy communities.
- Toxic-Free Kids: Protecting children’s health from cancer-causing flame retardants and helping to put businesses on the path to using chemicals that won’t harm the environment or the bottom line.
- Fulfill Our Clean Energy Initiative: Sustaining the success of I-937, our state’s voter-approved clean energy initiative, in bringing investments, jobs, and economic development throughout Washington.
Environmental Lobby Day 2012 - January 25th from 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM at The United Churches of Olympia (110 11th Ave SE).
Our aim is to bring hundreds of citizens to Olympia to advocate for our three environmental priorities with our state legislators, in the face of unprecedented budget deficits. We’ll be celebrating 20 years of Environmental Lobby Day this year, with major victories to remember and exciting challenges to look forward to in 2012.
At Lobby Day you will:
- Celebrate the unveiling of the Puget Loop Birding Trail with Audubon Washington;
- Receive detailed briefings on each priority;
- Receive training on how to lobby from top environmental lobbyists;
- Attend constituent meetings with all three of your legislators;
- Get fueled up with complimentary breakfast snacks and all the coffee you can drink!
- Any registration after January 22nd, will be considered “Day of Event”. If you have not registered by January 22nd, we still welcome you to attend the event. The fee will be $20 and will be collected when you arrive in Olympia. Purchasing a box lunch is not included as an option, but we will have a list of restaurants available. Make sure you go to the “Day of Event” registration line when you get to the church.
- Student Rate: $10 (student I.D. required)
- When: 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
- Where: United Churches of Olympia, 110 11th Ave SE
All stops: $25.00 (2 buses serving Bellingham, Mount Vernon, Everett, Bellevue/Kirkland, Seattle)
All bus fees must be pre-paid to guarantee your seat. No exceptions. Please call Elaine Heim by Tuesday January 24, 3:00 pm to reserve your seat, 206-456-3789.
Lobby Day Carpooling (to and from Olympia)
NEW for 2012! Carpooling matches available through Rideshare Online! If you are interested in carpooling to Lobby Day, please sign up at http://rideshareonline.icarpool.com.
Then, once signed up with rideshareonline, cut and paste this link into your browser: http://ow.ly/8kP1J.
If you have difficulty navigating the site, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more detailed instructions.
For any registration questions, contact or Rein Attemann.